Check essential requirements
In order to be considered for the programme you will have to meet our application requirements and programme entry requirements. Before you apply, please check you meet entry requirements (such as academic qualifications and English Language requirements), as well as the financial requirements of the programme.
Ask yourself the following questions:
- Do I meet the programme entry requirements?
- Do I meet the English language requirements?
- Have I considered the financial requirements? (including tuition fees and living costs)
- Do I have the supporting documents that I am required to submit with my application form?
Explore our research groups and supervisory staff pages
Explore the research groups and their associated staff to see how your chosen field of study aligns with the research portfolio within the school.
Agree your research
At this stage you should contact Dr Tjeerd Olde Scheper (email@example.com) and advise him that you are considering making an application. You are also welcome to contact particular academics to help you develop your ideas.
Formulate your proposal
When you have agreed a research project with Dr Tjeerd Olde Scheper (firstname.lastname@example.org), Postgraduate Research Tutor, you will be asked to prepare a proposal.
You can indicate any staff members whom you would like to work with, or Tjeerd will circulate your proposal to the most appropriate staff to get their comments. If the proposal is accepted Tjeerd will ask you to make a formal application, or give you advice on how the proposal may be improved.
For guidance on writing a PhD research proposal see our Guide to writing PhD Research Proposals.
Gather required documents and submit:
Our MPhil/PhD programme requires additional supporting documentation to be submitted as part of the application process. Before applying through UCAS Postgraduate please make sure you gather the following supporting documentation:
- Research proposal
- Scan of your passport - to confirm your name and date of birth. We will then ensure that any offer letters issued to you correspond with your passport name, this will help when applying for a student visa.
- IELTS Certificate or equivalent (if required) – no older than two years from the proposed start date of your programme.
- Scan of your final degree certificates already awarded.
- Scan of transcripts
- Two references (at least one academic) - your references must be on institutional headed paper and be dated and signed by referee(s). They can be uploaded online to UCAS Postgraduate at either the initial application stage (if the referee permits the reference to be shared with you), or can be sent directly to the Research Administrator in the Faculty of Technology, Design and Environment in a sealed envelope, or emailed. Please note that it is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure their referees supply these documents.
- Evidence of funding (if sponsored by an employer or government, you must provide evidence in the form of a recently dated sponsorship letter on official headed paper. If supporting your studies from private funds, you must provide a recently dated bank statement).
After your UCAS Postgraduate application has been submitted, these documents can be e-mailed directly to the Research Administrator in the Faculty of Technology, Design and Environment (email@example.com). Please note that you will need to provide certified translations of any documents which are not in English.
Submit your application through UCAS Postgraduate
You can apply for any of our MPhil/PhD programmes at UCAS Postgraduate (http://ucas.com/postgraduate), the online application system used by Oxford Brookes. Please log onto UCAS Postgraduate and complete your application. You can save your draft as you go, log out and return to it later if you wish. At this stage your application can only be seen by you. If you have any difficulty completing your application, you can call the UCAS Postgraduate Helpline on +44 (0)871 334 4447. If you are calling from outside the UK, please call the international telephone number: +44 330 333 0235, Monday to Friday, 08:30-18:00 (UK time).
You should note that we cannot consider your application for admission until all the documents noted above have been received, including financial documentation.